ABILENE, Texas - For the first time in nine years, every child's name on the Salvation Army's Angel Tree was picked and they'll all receive gifts this Christmas. On Thursday, parents picked up those gifts at the Marines Toys for Tots distribution.
Every year, the Salvation Army partners with toys for tots at the Abilene Civic Center. Less fortunate children are able to get gifts.
"We help ol' Santa by getting the toys together and making sure the children have toys at Christmas time," Salvation Commanding Officer James Parrish said. "This is what it's all about."
Cheryl Odinot selected toys for her two girls. She said, "It's really, really amazing."
Her children are just two out of more than 2,000 that will receive gifts this holiday season in our area.
These programs are just one example of why this time of year is the season of giving. The Salvation Army wants you to know they are $13,000 short this year from donations.
They are still out in front of major retailers with their kettles.
- Updated Redevelopment for West Texas Hilton hotel opened in 1929
- Updated Video of black Texas woman thrown to ground sparks review
- Updated Police: McDonald's worker in Texas fired for refusing officer service
- Updated Police save Texas robbery suspect from burning car after chase
- Updated Building partially collapses in Hamlin