ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene resident isn't particularly pleased about a third Walmart coming to town – and he's started a petition against it.
A petition is now circulating the internet on the website Change.org
The petition was started by Justin McBride, an Abilene resident. According to the website, McBride says he lives across the street from the proposed 150,000-square-foot Walmart Supercenter at Loop 322 and Oldham Lane.
Late last week, Walmart officials confirmed plans are for the new store to open during Spring 2016.
McBride wants other residents who are against the retailer coming to Abilene to sign the petition.
On Change.org, McBride writes: "I am writing this with intent of raising community awareness of this development and allowing residents such as myself and my neighbors an opportunity to voice their displeasure."
As of Tuesday morning, there were 80 signatures on the petition.
The new location is slightly north of Stripes Convenience Store and between Gateway Street and Oldham Lane on the east side of Loop 322.
Abilene's two other Walmart locations are off Hwy 351 and on Southwest Drive. The city also has a Sam's Club on its south side.
In case you're interested, here's the LINK to the petition.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon