ABILENE, Texas - A 62-year-old Abilene man is dead after an accident in the 1000 block of Cedar Crest.
Jerry Lee Bennett died Saturday after the 1988 black Chevrolet S-10 pickup struck what police described as being a "large rock" in a yard.
The accident occurred about 3:50 p.m., police said.
A passenger – Jessica Hodge, 29, of Abilene – had "jumped out of the pickup prior to it leaving the road and striking the rock," the release said.
"According to a witness the pickup had been traveling (south) on Cedar Crest and crossed the northbound lane and struck a large rock in the yard of 1001 Cedar Crest where it stopped," the release said.
"Hodge told officers on scene that Bennett appeared to have become unresponsive and she could not wake Bennett or stop the pickup."
Bennett and Hodge were taken to Hendrick Medical Center, where Bennett was pronounced deceased at 5:10 p.m. Saturday by Justice of the Peace Frank Cleveland. Hodge was treated at the hospital.
"It is unknown at this time whether drugs or alcohol are contributing factors in this crash," the release said.
The investigation continues.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide