ABILENE, Texas - Abilene police have arrested a suspect in an overnight murder.
Kobe Tayler Poston, 17, has been charged with second-degree felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with a deadly shooting at an apartment complex across the street from Mann Middle School.
Poston had been initially arrested on an unrelated warrant for a probation violation.
At 3:19 a.m., police responded to the Abilene North Apartments at the corner of Vogel and North Willis Street for a report of a shooting. When police arrived, they found two victims. One was pronounced dead at the scene. The other was taken to the hospital.
According to the search warrant, obtained by KTXS, the second victim told police he and some friends were walking outside the complex when they were approached by an unknown male with a gun. The victim said he knocked the gun out of the man's hand and they all began to fight.
During the fight, the victim was shot. He said as he tried to crawl away, Poston put a gun to his head and hit him with it. He was not able to say he shot the victim who was killed.
Police tracked Poston down at an apartment complex in the 3400 block of State Street where he lives with his mother. According to the search warrant, Poston's mom told police that her son came home about 4 a.m. and woke her up. She said he was "visibly upset, shaking and crying." She said Poston also told her "Robert was dead."
In March, a judge approved a motion to revoke Poston's probation. He was arrested Jan. 15 and charged with disorderly conduct - discharge/display of a firearm, which is a Class B misdemeanor. He received 18-months deferred adjudication and was ordered to complete 24 hours of community service and take an anger management course.
The names of the shooting victims have not been released.
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
- Abilene police: Fake carjacking led to SWAT standoff
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Abilene couple robbed at gunpoint while sitting at stoplight
- Indicted: Man accused of robbing Abilene scrap metal business while wearing ‘Scream' mask
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup
- DPS identifies woman killed in fiery crash last week near Winters
- Man dies in Hamlin police custody, Texas Rangers investigating