ABILENE, Texas - A 28-year-old Abilene man was arrested Wednesday after allegedly stealing a car and leading police on a chase.
Christopher Allen Daniel was arrested and charged with third-degree felony theft and state felony burglary of a building.
According to police, officers responded to a vehicle theft in progress at a car dealership on South 1st Street around 9:12 a.m. Wednesday. A 2014 Ford Mustang had been stolen and employees followed the male suspect and gave a description of Daniel to police and which direction they saw the car go.
Police say officers learned the business was burglarized overnight. Before officers were able to reach Daniel, he realized he was being followed and left the car in the 300 block of Jeanette, fleeing on foot. One of the employees stayed with the vehicle, and while police looked around the area, Daniel was spotted running.
A police news release said officers located Daniel in an alley near South First and Sayles Boulevard and arrested him. The stolen Mustang, valued at $25,000, was recovered and released to the dealership.
According to police, Daniel was questioned by detectives from the Crimes Against Property Unit. The investigation revealed Daniel entered the dealership Tuesday night and stole several sets of car keys. Daniel returned Wednesday morning and stole the Mustang.
Daniel is being held at the Taylor County Jail on bonds totaling $30,000.
Police are continuing to investigate and the cases will be given to the Taylor County District Attorney's Office.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit