ABILENE, Texas - Police have identified the pedestrian who was struck by a vehicle and killed late Monday night on South 1st Street.
According to Abilene police, 57-year-old John Allen Jones -- described as homeless with family in Amarillo -- died as a result of the accident.
The accident remains under investigation, police say.
A man died on the scene after being hit by a car on South 1st Street.
Authorities have not been able to make a positive identification of the victim at this time.
The driver, a 49-year-old female, was heading westbound on South 1st, when she hit the pedestrian in front of the Alamo Motel on the 2900 block of South 1st at around 10:45 p.m. Monday.
Alcohol or drugs do not seem to be a factor, but the driver agreed to a blood test. We will update you as we learn more.
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit