ABILENE, Texas - The co-owner of Abilene Gold Exchange was shot and killed Thursday, while police were serving a search warrant.
Officers served the warrant about 9:25 a.m. at the business in the 1300 block of South Danville to find "evidence related to the alleged failure to report precious metal transactions as required by the Texas Occupations Code."
According to police, officers were securing the property when co-owner Marcus Cass, 49, of Rockdale (east of Austin), confronted them with a semi-automatic pistol, refused to drop his gun and moved it in a "threatening manner."
One officer fired at him. Cass was pronounced dead at the scene.
Officer-involved shootings require the Texas Rangers to investigate. A joint investigation is underway.
Assistant Chief Mike Perry wrote the following in a press release: "At this point, it appears that the officer responded with necessary and reasonable force. This is a traumatic event for the family of the deceased, the officers involved and our community. Our thoughts and prayers are extended. Additional information may be released in the future."
- Updated DISH Network subscribers lose access to KTXS, ABC38, MeTV programming
- Updated Obama commutes sentence of Chelsea Manning
- Colorado City vet seriously injured in crash, fundraising effort underway
- Police: 2 children taken in 1985 found, mom arrested in Texas
- Video shows dog chained to open trailer on highway
- Abilene firefighters attack early morning fire
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Brown County Youth Fair steer auctioned for record $15,000
- Brownwood holds 5th annual MLK Day parade, ceremony
- Brown County fire department asking for help buying new truck
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- Clyde family seeks memorial quilt accidentally donated to Goodwill