ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Police Department reports an increase of 17 car thefts in June 2013 compared to June 2012. APD received 28 reports of stolen vehicles this June. They received 11 reports in June 2012.
Several Ford trucks were stolen as well as two Camaros and ATVs. The police department already recovered 18 of the stolen vehicles.
APD also received almost 80 reports of vehicle burglaries. The crimes did not happen in one specific part of town.
Nearly half of the burglaries happened overnight and 77% of them involved unlocked cars.
Police are urging residents to remove valuables from their cars and lock their doors.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend