ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Police Department reports an increase of 17 car thefts in June 2013 compared to June 2012. APD received 28 reports of stolen vehicles this June. They received 11 reports in June 2012.
Several Ford trucks were stolen as well as two Camaros and ATVs. The police department already recovered 18 of the stolen vehicles.
APD also received almost 80 reports of vehicle burglaries. The crimes did not happen in one specific part of town.
Nearly half of the burglaries happened overnight and 77% of them involved unlocked cars.
Police are urging residents to remove valuables from their cars and lock their doors.
- Updated $108M later, Port of Houston gives up on cruise ships
- Updated Video shows man using stolen credit card at Abilene store
- Updated Wanted Wednesday: Man, 21, sought by Abilene police
- Updated Reagan's daughter criticizes decision to free Hinkley
- Updated Gang member on Texas 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught