ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Police Department reports an increase of 17 car thefts in June 2013 compared to June 2012. APD received 28 reports of stolen vehicles this June. They received 11 reports in June 2012.
Several Ford trucks were stolen as well as two Camaros and ATVs. The police department already recovered 18 of the stolen vehicles.
APD also received almost 80 reports of vehicle burglaries. The crimes did not happen in one specific part of town.
Nearly half of the burglaries happened overnight and 77% of them involved unlocked cars.
Police are urging residents to remove valuables from their cars and lock their doors.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated