ABILENE, Texas - The H-E-B Feast of Sharing is Tuesday night at the Abilene Civic Center from 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. and preparations are underway.
The annual event is state-wide and provides holiday meals and good cheer to over 250,000 Texans.
Last year, the Abilene event fed close to 8,000 people.
The tradition started in an effort to fight hunger in the community.
You do not have to meet any special requirements in order to attend.
The event will feature live music from area bands and choirs and Santa is also expected to make a visit.
H-E-B Unit Director David McKenzie said this is a way to make sure everyone gets a special holiday meal.
"It goes along with the way we support the food bank and just helping fight hunger," McKenzie said. "It's being a part of the community, having a big event where the community can come together."
McKenzie said the event us a success thanks most in part to its faithful volunteers.
"We're as lucky as can be," McKenzie said. "We have 600 this year. We were full with volunteers by the time we got to the end of October and a lot of them have done it all nine years. They do it, they want to do the same job, they do a great job at it."
McKenzie said they're preparing to feed 7,000 people, but don't worry - any leftovers won't go to waste.
"Whatever's left the food bank actually picks up and distributes the next day," he said.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer