ABILENE, Texas - Abilene city employees would receive a 3 percent pay increase under City Manager Larry Gilley's proposed budget for the 2013-2014 fiscal year.
The suggested $79.1 million general fund budget for FY 14 is $79.1 million – up 4.5 percent when compared to the city's $75.7 million original budget for the current FY 13.
That's a proposed 4.5 percent increase, the city said in a news release.
Gilley has filed the budget with City Secretary Danette Dunlap's office.
According to city's news release, the 3 percent pay raise for employees – if the budget is approved by the city council – would go into effect Jan. 1, 2014.
The 2014 fiscal year begins Oct. 1, 2013, and ends on Sept. 30, 2014.
Click here to see the proposed budget from the the City of Abilene.
Here are some of the other highlights, as outlined by the city's news release, of the proposed FY 14 budget:
City programs and services remain intact
Fees stay the same: No adjustments to the fee schedule are in the proposed FY 14 budget.
Sales tax revenue: Sales tax growth is projected to increase for the FY 13 revised budget and the FY 14 proposed budget.
Tax rate of 68.14 cents: This proposed tax rate is a decrease as compared to FY 13. The rate will be allocated between the General Fund and the Debt Service Funds. The FY 14 general fund expenditures will require a tax rate of 50.49 cents for the General Fund. The FY 13 rate was 49.37 cents. In addition, 17.65 cents will be the required for the Debt Service Funds compared to the FY 13 rate of 19.23 cents. The decrease in the debt service rate is due to the cash financing of the FY 13 Capital Improvements Program.
The City Council will hold budget workshops to review the proposed FY 14 budget at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23 in City Council Chambers located inside City Hall, 555 Walnut St., and continue on Wednesday, July 24 if necessary.
The workshops will air live on Abilene Television Network (ATN), the City's education and government channel. ATN is available on Suddenlink Cable Channel 7 and broadcast Channel 7 KXN-TV.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash