ABILENE, Texas - While artists in the Big Country say people in Abilene appreciate the arts, young artists are having a hard time making a living off their artwork.
But one recent ACU graduate is trying to change that.
Julie Brannan, 23, works in technical support, but her real passion is art.
She's found it hard to make money off her talent.
"There's not a lot of buyers in Abilene and you really have to go out and find your crowd," Brannan said.
Darla Harmon of the Center for Contemporary Art agreed.
"[Young artists] struggle because, first of all, they're idealistic and second of all, they can't sell their work because there are no buyers," Harmon said.
This is where Thomas Griffin comes in. He founded the Emineo Art Gallery, an opportunity for student artists to promote their work and be recognized digitally.
According to Griffin, consumers are becoming more comfortable shopping online, especially for art pieces.
Having artwork online creates more space for more artists.
"There are galleries here in Abilene, but they're very limited by space," Griffin said. "So this is an opportunity for them to become connected to interested buyers across the nation and eventually, across the globe."
While Griffin isn't an artist, he said helping artists is his passion.
"I can't make art ... at all. I'm terrible," he said. "But I know that artists really can so where I'm good at is the business aspect and I love to put those two together and really find a way to kind of make the world better."
"And that allows us to do what we do best, and that's create art," said Brannan.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated