ABILENE, Texas - The Reptile House is undergoing an estimated $10,000 in renovations at the Abilene Zoo.
Workers are installing tile floors and textured walls. They are also bringing in some new animals. Plans include temporarily housing an albino alligator and later bringing in an albino python.
Abilene Zoo Director Bill Gersonde said he hopes the new and improved Reptile House will provide more of an educational experience for visitors.
"The carpet is worn out. It's kind of a dated décor. The lighting we're having some issues with, so we're upgrading the lighting, so basically it's just a nice facelift," Gersonde said.
Gersonde said plans are to continue with upgrades in the near future.
"We have some other changes we're gonna be making over the spring, but we won't be forced to close down the building," Gersonde said.
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco
- Updated Texas detective fired for mishandling child abuse cases
- Updated American Airlines plane lands safely despite engine flames
- Updated Texan fatally shot girlfriend, her friend, his son, 3, self
- Updated Police: Man robs New York City bank in ball gown, heels