ABILENE, Texas - The Reptile House is undergoing an estimated $10,000 in renovations at the Abilene Zoo.
Workers are installing tile floors and textured walls. They are also bringing in some new animals. Plans include temporarily housing an albino alligator and later bringing in an albino python.
Abilene Zoo Director Bill Gersonde said he hopes the new and improved Reptile House will provide more of an educational experience for visitors.
"The carpet is worn out. It's kind of a dated décor. The lighting we're having some issues with, so we're upgrading the lighting, so basically it's just a nice facelift," Gersonde said.
Gersonde said plans are to continue with upgrades in the near future.
"We have some other changes we're gonna be making over the spring, but we won't be forced to close down the building," Gersonde said.
- Updated Winning ticket for $435 million Powerball sold in Indiana
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Abilene City Council to consider payday loan restrictions
- Major businesses push back against Texas' proposed bathroom bill
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released