ABILENE, Texas - Dozens of people gathered together Sunday to remember the good ol' days at Ben Milam Elementary School.
The school was torn down in the 1980s, but its school spirit is still alive and well. The school was first known as North Park Elementary.
The Friendship House sits where the old elementary school used to be, on Lowden Street between Hickory and Cedar streets. The building was torn down in the 1980s.
Fred Stirnam's first job was as a teacher at Ben Milam.
"It was a concrete building that had been built with forms," Stirnam said. "The concrete pillars had split and so it wouldn't take much to knock it down."
The building may be gone, but the memories are still alive. Jackie Lanier Redwine spent more than a year putting this reunion together.
"There were so many children in the neighborhood that were within three or four years apart and we all congregated every day," Redwine said. "We played together for hours until the sunset and we would hear mama calling our name in the distance."
For Stirnam, no matter how much time passes, some names he will always remember.
"I had one student come up to me earlier this afternoon and said, 'Coach you remember me?'" Stirnam said. "I looked down at his name tag and read it. I'm not going to tell you his name. I looked at it and said 'How in the world could I ever forget you?'"
Alumni can stay connected through the "North Park/Ben Milam Exes" Facebook page.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated