ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Planning and Zoning Commission endorsed a proposal Thursday to rezone land at 2668 Garfield Ave. in north Abilene.
Developer Nick Coates wants to build a retirement home or assisted living facility at the location.
The Abilene City Council will take up the issue on Oct. 9.
Coates sought to have about 12 acres there rezoned from agricultural open space and single-family residential to planned development.
The Planning and Zoning Commission turned down Coates' request a few weeks ago, but after he made some changes, its members agreed to recommend the rezoning to the Abilene City Council.
- Updated 'Eerily similar' earthquake hit Italian region in 2009
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated 2016 rainfall totals exceed normal yearly average in Abilene
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire