ABILENE, Texas - Ricky Bishop was officially sworn in as Taylor County Sheriff at 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2013.
Bishop beat out incumbent Sheriff Les Bruce in a Republican primary run-off election earlier this year. He then ran unopposed in November.
"You know since July we've been counting down and anxious and ready to get started, and move the department forward, and make the community a safer place," Bishop said.
After his own ceremony, Bishop swore in a few of his deputies.
- Weather warning: Enhanced fire danger for much of Big Country
- Updated Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- Woman's sassy obit warns people to wait to claim her stuff
- Winning ticket for $435 million Powerball sold in Indiana