ABILENE, Texas - Ricky Bishop was officially sworn in as Taylor County Sheriff at 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2013.
Bishop beat out incumbent Sheriff Les Bruce in a Republican primary run-off election earlier this year. He then ran unopposed in November.
"You know since July we've been counting down and anxious and ready to get started, and move the department forward, and make the community a safer place," Bishop said.
After his own ceremony, Bishop swore in a few of his deputies.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer