ABILENE, Texas - Guests were evacuated Wednesday due to a fire at America's Best Value Inn on South 1st Street.
The Abilene Fire Department responded to the fire just after 5:30 p.m., and after finding significant amounts of smoke inside, people were asked to evacuate a wing of the hotel as a precaution.
Firefighters believe the fire was started by a cigarette thrown on a grassy area next to the hotel.
The fire spread up the wall of an unoccupied area of the hotel where it began burning the insulation of the building. Firefighters tore into the wall to prevent the spread of the fire and quickly got the fire under control.
AFD estimates the fire caused around $5,000 of damage. No one was injured in the fire.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer