ABILENE, Texas - Wednesday, for the first time, a couple of the same gender was married in Abilene.
Diana Lee Lott and Ashley Anne Wester were married in front of a handful of friends at Exodus Metropolitan Community Church.
The couple says they've been waiting since February for the Supreme Court decision that would make same-sex marriage legal across the United States.
"I don't know that it means a great deal being the first," said the Rev, Margaret Walker, who presided over the ceremony. "But I know it's the start of equal rights for all Americans. And it's just a monumental, exciting, wonderful time of justice and equality. And we're just happy."
We were able contact most Big Country counties. Other than the seven issued in Taylor County, only Callahan County reported giving out a license since they became legal in Texas. Many counties are still waiting for proper paperwork or software before they issue the licenses.
- Former Abilene mayor Norm Archibald named 2017 Citizen of the Year
- Police report: $5,000 embezzled from Abilene youth football organization
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Abilene man, 21, sentenced to 15 years for shooting mother in head
- KTXS Forecast: Increasing rain chances into the weekend ahead of next cold front.
- 21 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- 2 Abilene men indicted for sharing child porn
- Abilene woman arrested after young child tests positive for cocaine, other drugs
- Abilene woman talks about scary moment inside elevator with panhandler
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene woman empowered to share story by #MeToo movement
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Brownwood plant manager: No injuries from minor explosion
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman
- Woodson ISD names new interim superintendent after abrupt resignation