On Saturday, May 11, 2013, Campbell Soup Company will join forces with the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) to help Stamp Out Hunger in Abilene and surrounding towns. Now in its 21st year, the annual food drive has grown from a regional to a national effort that provides assistance to the millions of Americans struggling to put food on the table.
To participate in the 21st Stamp Out Hunger food drive in Abilene and the surrounding towns, residents are encouraged to leave a sturdy bag containing non-perishable foods, such as canned soup, canned vegetables, pasta, rice or cereal next to their mailbox prior to the time of regular mail delivery on Saturday, May 11. Letter carriers will collect these food donations as they deliver the mail and take them to the Food Bank of West Central Texas and agencies in the surrounding area.
The Stamp Out Hunger food drive, held on the second Saturday in May, has become the nation's largest single-day food drive benefiting Feeding America, the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization. In 2012, generous Americans donated 70.2 million pounds of food, which marked the eighth consecutive year that at least 70 million pounds were collected by letter carriers.
"We're incredibly excited for the 21st anniversary of the Stamp Out Hunger food drive," said Fredric V. Rolando, NALC president. "We're asking people across the country for their support to make this year's drive the most successful in its 21 year history. It's so easy to make a donation: simply leave a bag of non-perishable food by your mailbox to help neighbors in need. That's all it takes."
The need for food assistance continues to exist in every community in America, no matter how rich or poor. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's annual study measuring food security in the United States, the number of Americans living in food insecure homes reached nearly 49 million in 2011 (the most recent year that such data is available). Perhaps most alarming is the fact that more than 18 million children in America - more than 1 in 4 - are faced with the prospect of hunger.
Campbell Soup Company and its partners are producing post cards and shopping bags that will be delivered to more than 90 million homes across the country as a reminder to participate in the drive. In addition, Campbell will again support this year's food collection effort by donating one million pounds of food to Feeding America.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash