ABILENE, Texas - A search warrant revealed the father of a suspected bank robber identified his son in surveillance video and tipped off police to his whereabouts.
Jacob Powell, 27, is charged with the Monday aggravated robbery of Citibank at 3409 South 14th Street. According to a search warrant for Powell's home in the 600 block of Portland Avenue, Powell's father recognized him in a snap shot of surveillance footage aired by local news media after the robbery.
Powell's father told police about Powell's residence on Portland Avenue and officers set up surveillance around the home and interviewed Powell.
According to the search warrant, Powell struggled with drugs and other crimes. Powell has previously served prison time for burglary, according to court records.
Powell was charged with the bank robbery, in which he allegedly displayed a hand gun and took an undisclosed amount of cash, Tuesday.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family