ABILENE, Texas - It's "Game Day" for FedEx and other shipping companies as today marks their busiest day of the year.
FedEx estimates they'll be responsible for 19 million packages today, which is a 10 percent jump from last year.
Philip Wicker, owner of Pack & Mail on Industrial Boulevard estimates his business will receive as many as 300 packages today.
Wicker's best advice is to get packages sent as soon as possible.
"Obviously, the closer it gets to Christmas, the more jammed up the system is going to get," Wicker said.
He said the best time to come in to mail a package is the morning, as most people ship packages in the late afternoon after they get off work.
In order for your package to arrive safely and undamaged, Wicker advises putting it in a regular cardboard box.
Also, it's a good idea to let people know a package is on its way so they can be on the lookout for it.
According to Abilene's main post office, its busiest days are Mondays and Fridays.
Click here for a list of holiday shipping and mailing dates with the United States Postal Service.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017