ABILENE, Texas - It's "Game Day" for FedEx and other shipping companies as today marks their busiest day of the year.
FedEx estimates they'll be responsible for 19 million packages today, which is a 10 percent jump from last year.
Philip Wicker, owner of Pack & Mail on Industrial Boulevard estimates his business will receive as many as 300 packages today.
Wicker's best advice is to get packages sent as soon as possible.
"Obviously, the closer it gets to Christmas, the more jammed up the system is going to get," Wicker said.
He said the best time to come in to mail a package is the morning, as most people ship packages in the late afternoon after they get off work.
In order for your package to arrive safely and undamaged, Wicker advises putting it in a regular cardboard box.
Also, it's a good idea to let people know a package is on its way so they can be on the lookout for it.
According to Abilene's main post office, its busiest days are Mondays and Fridays.
Click here for a list of holiday shipping and mailing dates with the United States Postal Service.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer