ABILENE, TX - The on-going I-20 frontage road project means on and off-ramps on the eastbound lane of the interstate are now closed.
"We will be closing exit ramp 290," said Waldrip. "That's the ramp that takes you to Loop 322, going toward the airport, Highway 36."
If drivers are planning on doing to the Expo Center, Abilene Zoo or Shotwell Stadium, they'll need to plan ahead.
"Motorists will need to exit earlier and we'll have message boards advising drivers of that change," said Waldrip. "We're also closing an entrance ramp, just past Highway 351."
Waldrip said, "This will be something people need to get used to for quite a few weeks."
Drivers are asked to be patient through the transition.
"We do understand that motorists and those located along that route are seeing a lot of changes and it is impacting them," said Waldrip. "We're working as quickly as possible."
Although the temporary change in commute is estimated to take a few weeks, the overall project will take around two years.
The ultimate goal is to make I-20 frontage roads one-way. It's apart of TxDot's safety effort to reduce the number of accidents that have been happening on the frontage, or access roads
TxDot says getting on and off ramps will be much safer when the project is complete.
- Updated Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer