ABILENE, TX - The on-going I-20 frontage road project means on and off-ramps on the eastbound lane of the interstate are now closed.
"We will be closing exit ramp 290," said Waldrip. "That's the ramp that takes you to Loop 322, going toward the airport, Highway 36."
If drivers are planning on doing to the Expo Center, Abilene Zoo or Shotwell Stadium, they'll need to plan ahead.
"Motorists will need to exit earlier and we'll have message boards advising drivers of that change," said Waldrip. "We're also closing an entrance ramp, just past Highway 351."
Waldrip said, "This will be something people need to get used to for quite a few weeks."
Drivers are asked to be patient through the transition.
"We do understand that motorists and those located along that route are seeing a lot of changes and it is impacting them," said Waldrip. "We're working as quickly as possible."
Although the temporary change in commute is estimated to take a few weeks, the overall project will take around two years.
The ultimate goal is to make I-20 frontage roads one-way. It's apart of TxDot's safety effort to reduce the number of accidents that have been happening on the frontage, or access roads
TxDot says getting on and off ramps will be much safer when the project is complete.
- Updated Suspect in gruesome New Mexico killing of girl, 10, was on probation
- Updated All gone: City of Abilene rain barrel giveaway lasts 28 minutes
- Updated Texas murder suspect arrested at Oklahoma bus station
- Updated Looking for a place that sells alcohol? There's an app for that
- Updated Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck