ABILENE, Texas - The most famous kiss of World War II has been immortalized. Wednesday, that statue was seen in Abilene.
The 25-foot tall statue, seen resting on its side, was parked at the 12th Armored Division Museum in downtown Abilene.
The statue is on its way to downtown San Diego, where it will be officially unveiled on Feb. 16.
The depiction is of the famous kiss was caught by a photographer on Aug. 14, 1945, the day World War II ended.
The USS Midway Museum teamed up with other World War II charities to raise $1 million for the purchase of the bronze statue.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot