ABILENE, Texas - Last week's massive hailstorm did an estimated $500,000 in damage to First Central Presbyterian Church in downtown Abilene.
Pastor Cliff Stewart said the storm was worse than the 2011 Easter storm.
On Saturday, when the church's Helping Hand Committee gathered to help with the storm cleanup, Stewart said the effort was being made so that "it'll look good for Sunday."
"Our people want to help and we like to clean it up for Sunday – and there's all this debris around the building so we're doing what we can," Stewart said.
The hail storm from Thursday night damaged the windows, gutters and the air conditioning units, Stewart said.
- Updated Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Severe weather possible tonight, sunshine back tomorrow
- Updated Texas high school transgender wrestler wins regional title
- Updated Man arrested for slaying of Caldwell County woman
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide