ABILENE, Texas - Last week's massive hailstorm did an estimated $500,000 in damage to First Central Presbyterian Church in downtown Abilene.
Pastor Cliff Stewart said the storm was worse than the 2011 Easter storm.
On Saturday, when the church's Helping Hand Committee gathered to help with the storm cleanup, Stewart said the effort was being made so that "it'll look good for Sunday."
"Our people want to help and we like to clean it up for Sunday – and there's all this debris around the building so we're doing what we can," Stewart said.
The hail storm from Thursday night damaged the windows, gutters and the air conditioning units, Stewart said.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Updated Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth