ABILENE, Texas - Last week's massive hailstorm did an estimated $500,000 in damage to First Central Presbyterian Church in downtown Abilene.
Pastor Cliff Stewart said the storm was worse than the 2011 Easter storm.
On Saturday, when the church's Helping Hand Committee gathered to help with the storm cleanup, Stewart said the effort was being made so that "it'll look good for Sunday."
"Our people want to help and we like to clean it up for Sunday – and there's all this debris around the building so we're doing what we can," Stewart said.
The hail storm from Thursday night damaged the windows, gutters and the air conditioning units, Stewart said.
- Updated Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Federal agency publishes timetable for President Trump's Mexico border wall
- Texas murder suspect arrested; was in Daytona for the races
- Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills