ABILENE, Texas - Storms Thursday afternoon and evening brought high winds that ripped off roofs, downed trees and power lines, and flooded parts of the Big Country.
Winds were clocked in excess of 60 miles per hour in many areas.
An unconfirmed tornado was spotted over Rotan in Fisher County before 6 pm.
A severe thunderstorm blew through Abilene just before 7 pm. Winds at Dyess Air Force Base were clocked at more than 60 miles per hour.
The winds blew down power lines and tree limbs littered the streets. Many areas of town were without power for some time.
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend