ABILENE, Texas - Storms Thursday afternoon and evening brought high winds that ripped off roofs, downed trees and power lines, and flooded parts of the Big Country.
Winds were clocked in excess of 60 miles per hour in many areas.
An unconfirmed tornado was spotted over Rotan in Fisher County before 6 pm.
A severe thunderstorm blew through Abilene just before 7 pm. Winds at Dyess Air Force Base were clocked at more than 60 miles per hour.
The winds blew down power lines and tree limbs littered the streets. Many areas of town were without power for some time.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated