ABILENE, Texas - Storms Thursday afternoon and evening brought high winds that ripped off roofs, downed trees and power lines, and flooded parts of the Big Country.
Winds were clocked in excess of 60 miles per hour in many areas.
An unconfirmed tornado was spotted over Rotan in Fisher County before 6 pm.
A severe thunderstorm blew through Abilene just before 7 pm. Winds at Dyess Air Force Base were clocked at more than 60 miles per hour.
The winds blew down power lines and tree limbs littered the streets. Many areas of town were without power for some time.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family