ABILENE, Texas - Instead of all-day summer fun, youngsters are getting ready to hit the books.
From playing in the parks to splashing at Nelson Splash Pad, to fun at Primetime Sports, kids will soon exchange day-long recreation for learning in the classroom.
"I definitely want to go swimming some more," junior high school student Kaytlin Welch said.
"Come back here and play mini golf again," middle school student Mackenzie Welch said.
"It's our last bang before school," Mother Tessa Welch said.
Summer vacation for kids and parents is coming to an end soon. Some families in Abilene are spending their last full week of the break having fun.
"(We go) out to the lake or go swimming or rent movies," Tessa Welch said. "Little stuff like that."
Even in the last full week attempt at fun, kids are looking forward to the new school year.
"Being able to hang out with my friends and being able to learn new things," Kaytlin Welch said.
Parents are doing their best to get kids ready for the switch.
"Trying to get them up," Tessa Welch said. "That's the hardest thing in the whole routine is trying to get them out of bed especially that first week of school."
"We've been going to bed a little bit earlier every night, Father Jason Gaston said."We've been working on our manners."
Gaston said he's weighing the pros and cons of sending his back to school.
"I would say it would be nice have to have a few minutes to myself everyday, but I'm a school teacher, so I just go back into it also," Gaston said.
Until school starts, Gaston said, "I like to let them play as much as I can before school starts because you're only young once and life can't all be books and learning all the time. You have to get fun in there somewhere."
School starts for Abilene Independent School District and Wylie Independent School District on Monday, August 26.
Here are the start times for AISD:
Elementary - 8 a.m.
Middle School - 8:25 a.m.
High School - 8:35 a.m.
Here are the start times for WISD:
Kindergarten and Elementary - 8 a.m.
Intermediate and Middle School - 8:15 a.m.
Junior High - 8:20 a.m.
High School - 8:15 a.m.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer