ABILENE, Texas - A 19-year-old Abilene man suspected in a number of recent car thefts was arrested Wednesday, but not before the police department's SWAT Team was dispatched and established a perimeter at a local hotel.
England Andrews was taken into custody – without incident – after a short conversation with Abilene Police Department negotiators at the Abilene Hotel on E. Hwy 80.
Andrews, who had an outstanding warrant for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (state jail felony), is also a suspect in several recent car thefts in Abilene, according to information released Wednesday by the police department.
"The SWAT Team was notified as a precaution," Abilene Police Department Sgt. Lynn Beard said in an email. "They were in the midst a training day and were able to respond quickly."
Beard said the SWAT Team was called in merely as a precaution and that Andrews was known to have access to multiple weapons.
- Updated Photo of Abilene veteran and his service dog goes viral
- Updated Justin Ross Harris sentenced to life for son's hot-car death
- 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade