ABILENE, Texas - A 19-year-old Abilene man suspected in a number of recent car thefts was arrested Wednesday, but not before the police department's SWAT Team was dispatched and established a perimeter at a local hotel.
England Andrews was taken into custody – without incident – after a short conversation with Abilene Police Department negotiators at the Abilene Hotel on E. Hwy 80.
Andrews, who had an outstanding warrant for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (state jail felony), is also a suspect in several recent car thefts in Abilene, according to information released Wednesday by the police department.
"The SWAT Team was notified as a precaution," Abilene Police Department Sgt. Lynn Beard said in an email. "They were in the midst a training day and were able to respond quickly."
Beard said the SWAT Team was called in merely as a precaution and that Andrews was known to have access to multiple weapons.
- Updated Abilene veteran warns of Facebook scam about benefits
- Updated Brownwood police searching for Jeep connected to pharmacy thefts
- Updated Panel could recommend scrapping STAAR tests
- Updated McMurry professor: Clinton's nomination shows nation's growth
- Updated Wanted Wednesday: Man, 21, sought by Abilene police