ABILENE, Texas - A 19-year-old Abilene man suspected in a number of recent car thefts was arrested Wednesday, but not before the police department's SWAT Team was dispatched and established a perimeter at a local hotel.
England Andrews was taken into custody – without incident – after a short conversation with Abilene Police Department negotiators at the Abilene Hotel on E. Hwy 80.
Andrews, who had an outstanding warrant for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (state jail felony), is also a suspect in several recent car thefts in Abilene, according to information released Wednesday by the police department.
"The SWAT Team was notified as a precaution," Abilene Police Department Sgt. Lynn Beard said in an email. "They were in the midst a training day and were able to respond quickly."
Beard said the SWAT Team was called in merely as a precaution and that Andrews was known to have access to multiple weapons.
- Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances persist into the weekend
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- McMurry University kicks off school year with convocation
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident