ABILENE, Texas - The Taylor County Sheriff's Office said a number of calls have been received about a phone scam targeting people in the region.
Officers said the caller identifies himself as Lt. John Martin with the Taylor County Sheriff's Office. He then says they failed to respond to a federal subpoena and will be arrested unless they pay him.
The sheriff's office said no officer will ever call and demand money in lieu of an arrest. Anyone whomay have been the target of a scam artist is encouraged to call local law enforcement.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account