ABILENE, Texas - Brant Camp has been teaching at Abilene High School for nine years and is excited to be among the 2013-2014 Teacher Tribute honorees.
Camp—who is also the girl's soccer coach—has had a wide range of experience at the high school including teaching special education, social studies, math and science.
To students, he is not just a teacher or a coach: He is a role model and a shoulder to lean on.
"I think at any point in the classroom, or on the field, if you can teach life lessons that carry beyond just here at school then, you know, and impact them beyond here it is worthwhile," Camp said.
He said his goal is to help his students and players become quality people no matter where life takes them.
"There's a big picture beyond just the high school here," Camp said. "Yes, you want them to learn the academics and be successful academically but in the big picture you want them to be successful once they leave here—whether it's to college or just a job or wherever the path takes them."
His efforts have apparently paid off. Odalys Hernandez, one of his soccer players, and Sierra Milam, one of his students, nominated him for the Teacher Tribute award.
Camp said he hopes to inspire his students, but they've also made an impact on him.
"Seeing where a lot of them come from and knowing, you know, it's just a challenge to just show up day-to-day and then being able to put a smile on their face and interact with them through the teaching aspect," is what Camp said he enjoys most.
If you'd like to nominate someone for Teacher Tribute, click here or pick up an application at your school's front office.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated