ABILENE, Texas - Brant Camp has been teaching at Abilene High School for nine years and is excited to be among the 2013-2014 Teacher Tribute honorees.
Camp—who is also the girl's soccer coach—has had a wide range of experience at the high school including teaching special education, social studies, math and science.
To students, he is not just a teacher or a coach: He is a role model and a shoulder to lean on.
"I think at any point in the classroom, or on the field, if you can teach life lessons that carry beyond just here at school then, you know, and impact them beyond here it is worthwhile," Camp said.
He said his goal is to help his students and players become quality people no matter where life takes them.
"There's a big picture beyond just the high school here," Camp said. "Yes, you want them to learn the academics and be successful academically but in the big picture you want them to be successful once they leave here—whether it's to college or just a job or wherever the path takes them."
His efforts have apparently paid off. Odalys Hernandez, one of his soccer players, and Sierra Milam, one of his students, nominated him for the Teacher Tribute award.
Camp said he hopes to inspire his students, but they've also made an impact on him.
"Seeing where a lot of them come from and knowing, you know, it's just a challenge to just show up day-to-day and then being able to put a smile on their face and interact with them through the teaching aspect," is what Camp said he enjoys most.
If you'd like to nominate someone for Teacher Tribute, click here or pick up an application at your school's front office.
- Updated Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Updated Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Lawmakers: Wells Fargo a 'criminal enterprise' like Enron
- Police: Woman, 64, seriously injured in Big Spring disturbance, man arrested
- Texas prison records show more than 330 transgender inmates
- Taylor County woman pleads guilty for injuring her children
- Abilene city manager proposes study of tiered water rates
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash