ABILENE, Texas - We get to honor two teachers in this week's Teacher Tribute. Tyler Gripton wrote in to tell us about both Cathy Taylor and coach Donna Wise. They teach special education out at Cooper High School.
You may have heard some of their work. The sound of these bells fill a classroom at Cooper High as Taylor's Pure Gold Handbell choir rehearses. made of up special needs students from Cooper and Abilene high schools.
You can't help but be impressed to see and hear what an excellent job these kids do. Taylor explains traditional sheet music has to be modified in a way these kids can read it and follow along.
Tyler loves working with Taylor. She's given him the ability to do things, like perform places he never would get to in a traditional extra curricular activity.
Wise is actually a general education teacher who teaches several of the physical education classes at Cooper. She also heads up the PE class for special education.
Wise has spent 30 years teaching between her time at Cooper and Crockett Elementary.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated