ABILENE, Texas - The Teacher Tribute prize patrol arrived at Jackson Elementary to award Tanya Miles.
Miles has been teaching for ten years, three of them at Jackson Elementary. She said, "Great satisfaction comes from this career knowing that what I'm doing makes a difference one way or another in a child's life."
Second grade student Dylan Lujan nominated Mrs. Miles.
Dylan's mom said, "Some kids, like Dylan, need the extra attention to make them feel special so they keep excelling in school."
Mrs. Miles has gone above and beyond to help not only Dylan, but other students in her classroom. She said in college she knew teaching would be her path in life.
"I chose teaching then and I was like wow, this is what I'm destined to do," Miles said.
And working with second graders you're never short on laughter.
"You grow attached to them," Miles said. "I mean they are hilarious."
Her goal: to watch all her students succeed and leave her classroom ready to tackle the challenges of third grade.
If you would like to nominate a teacher you can pick up an application at the front office in your school.
- Weather warning: Enhanced fire danger for much of Big Country
- Updated Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- Woman's sassy obit warns people to wait to claim her stuff
- Winning ticket for $435 million Powerball sold in Indiana