ABILENE, Texas - The Teacher Tribute prize patrol arrived at Jackson Elementary to award Tanya Miles.
Miles has been teaching for ten years, three of them at Jackson Elementary. She said, "Great satisfaction comes from this career knowing that what I'm doing makes a difference one way or another in a child's life."
Second grade student Dylan Lujan nominated Mrs. Miles.
Dylan's mom said, "Some kids, like Dylan, need the extra attention to make them feel special so they keep excelling in school."
Mrs. Miles has gone above and beyond to help not only Dylan, but other students in her classroom. She said in college she knew teaching would be her path in life.
"I chose teaching then and I was like wow, this is what I'm destined to do," Miles said.
And working with second graders you're never short on laughter.
"You grow attached to them," Miles said. "I mean they are hilarious."
Her goal: to watch all her students succeed and leave her classroom ready to tackle the challenges of third grade.
If you would like to nominate a teacher you can pick up an application at the front office in your school.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer