A third Abilene Walmart - to be built at Loop 322 and Oldham Lane - will open in Spring 2016, company officials say.
KTXS had previously reported planning was in the works for the new 150,000-square-foot Supercenter after city officials confirmed earlier this month that the company had submitted initial plans for the site.
On Saturday, Walmart issued the following statement offering additional confirmation:
"We are happy to announce that we are bringing the convenience of one-stop shopping with a Walmart Supercenter to Loop 322 and Oldham Lane in Abilene. The 150,000 sq. ft. store will offer a full line of fresh affordable groceries, including organic and natural selections in addition to local favorites. It will also feature quality, value-priced general merchandise, including apparel, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and lawn and garden items.
"The pharmacy will offer a full range of products and services including our popular $4 prescriptions. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
"In addition, we offer ways for our customers to access our overall expanded product assortment with Site to Store. Site to Store is just like what it sounds – go to Walmart.com and make your selections, and choose the option to have those items delivered for free to your favorite Walmart store."
The new location is slightly north of Stripes Convenience Store and between Gateway Street and Oldham Lane on the east side of Loop 322.
Abilene's two other Walmart locations are off Hwy 351 and on Southwest Drive. The city also has a Sam's Club on its south side.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit