A third Abilene Walmart - to be built at Loop 322 and Oldham Lane - will open in Spring 2016, company officials say.
KTXS had previously reported planning was in the works for the new 150,000-square-foot Supercenter after city officials confirmed earlier this month that the company had submitted initial plans for the site.
On Saturday, Walmart issued the following statement offering additional confirmation:
"We are happy to announce that we are bringing the convenience of one-stop shopping with a Walmart Supercenter to Loop 322 and Oldham Lane in Abilene. The 150,000 sq. ft. store will offer a full line of fresh affordable groceries, including organic and natural selections in addition to local favorites. It will also feature quality, value-priced general merchandise, including apparel, electronics, toys, sporting goods, and lawn and garden items.
"The pharmacy will offer a full range of products and services including our popular $4 prescriptions. Pharmacy team members can answer product and prescription questions and customers can ask about health and wellness solutions.
"In addition, we offer ways for our customers to access our overall expanded product assortment with Site to Store. Site to Store is just like what it sounds – go to Walmart.com and make your selections, and choose the option to have those items delivered for free to your favorite Walmart store."
The new location is slightly north of Stripes Convenience Store and between Gateway Street and Oldham Lane on the east side of Loop 322.
Abilene's two other Walmart locations are off Hwy 351 and on Southwest Drive. The city also has a Sam's Club on its south side.
- 17 children adopted at Taylor County Courthouse on Adoption Day
- Texas spirit: How a fatal wreck brought hundreds of cheerleaders together
- Police: 2 Abilene men face federal charges for filming sexual assault of girl, 12
- Lineup announced for 7th annual Outlaws & Legends Music Festival
- Police need help identifying Abilene theft suspect
- Man, 24, killed in Jones County crash
- Reindeer involved in accident near Sweetwater weeks before Christmas
- Fire chief: 10 pigs killed in Sweetwater ISD ag barn fire
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching
- Brown County: Man receives 10-year sentence for failing to follow through on internet sale