ABILENE, Texas - A third Walmart could be coming to Abilene.
A "site plan" was submitted to the city of Abilene this week for a proposed Walmart off of Loop 322 near Oldham Lane, said Jon James, the city's director of planning and development services.
"Based on the size, my guess is that it's a (Walmart) Supercenter, but we do not know for sure," James said in an email.
The location is slightly north of Stripes Convenience Store and between Gateway Street and Oldham Lane on the east side of Loop 322.
"It is basically at the southwest corner of the Oldham/Loop 322 intersection," James said.
According to James, the site plan process involves the submission of a drawing of the site "showing all buildings, parking areas, landscape areas, drainage, etc. so that we can review it for compliance with all of our development standards."
James said site plans must be approved before the issuance of building permits. After site plans are approved, developers can submit building plans for review and approval, James said.
James said his staff will distribute copies of the proposed Walmart's site plan internally for review next week.
"Our normal review process takes a couple of weeks, but with a large project like this there is often back and forth getting all the details correct over a few weeks or months with multiple revisions to the site plan before it is finally approved," James said.
Abilene currently has Walmart stores on Southwest Drive and Hwy 351. The city also has a Sam's Club on its south side.
- Updated Shot Brownwood man considered brain dead, suspect could face upgraded charges
- Police: Ohio mom killed 2 kids to save them from evil in world
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Texas woman slain as boyfriend shoots at another man
- Official: Storm triggered sensor that halted new Six Flags roller coaster
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent says school will be open next year
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks