ABILENE, Texas - It's a hazard that has cost people their lives. The homeless are at risk for deadly traffic accidents.
The problem is especially present near Love and Care Ministries in Abilene an organization that helps them find food, clothing or shelter.
On Thursday, Tina Brown was hit by a truck on South 1st St. after crossing the street.
In April of 2011, Gary Martin was run over by a train after walking accross the railroad tracks on North 1st near Burger St. A memorial is still at the crash site to remember him.
Last June, Mary Margaret Bowdon was crossing South 1st. She was hit by a van.
All of them were on their way to Love and Care Ministries.
"They are all people that we know," Hewitt said. "They are all friends of ours. It breaks our heart."
Mark Hewitt who founded Love and Care Ministries said change is needed.
"Maybe we can just figure out a better way of helping those who are walking the streets," Hewitt said.
Abilene Police Chief Stan Standridge said the difference: reflector vests.
"We've already received 50 donate vests and gloves for our residential homeless," Standridge said. "So we're well on our way to the needed 500."
Hewitt agreed that it was a great idea, but of course, he said not everyone would wear them.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer