ABILENE, Texas - After a tragic accident that left a pedestrian dead on South 1st Street on Thursday morning, Abilene Police Chief Stan Standridge wants to help provide the homeless with reflector vests.
"Let's do some community collaboration," Standridge said. "Let's provide traffic vests for our homeless and let's stop responding to these traffic fatalities."
The 44-year-old woman who was killed after being hit by a truck at South 1st and Sewell Street about 7 a.m. Thursday was described as being homeless.
Standridge said he asked a homeless man who was accompanying the victim, "If you were provided a traffic safety vest that's reflective would you wear it consistently at night?"
The homeless man said, "Absolutely, I'm homeless. I value my safety."
Standridge also said he hopes foundations and businesses in Abilene come together to help raise funds.
- Updated Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Updated Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Updated Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Updated Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash