ABILENE, Texas - A pedestrian was killed this morning after being struck by a truck at South 1st and Sewell streets.
Police said Tina H. Brown, 44, was taken by ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.
The accident occurred shortly after 7 a.m. Thursday.
Police said a blue 2009 Dodge Ram pickup truck, traveling westbound in the outside lane of South 1st Street, collided with Brown who was crossing the roadway while pushing a stroller.
The driver of the truck Marcus A. Rondont, 20, hit Brown and then flew forward approximately 153 feet, according to police.
The stroller wasn't occupied by a person and it appears to have been utilized for conveyance purposes.
There was no moisture on the roadway at the time of the collision.
Blood samples were taken from Rondot and Brown. Traffic investigators do not suspect alcohol to be a factor.
No criminal charges have been filed, pending further investigation.
The woman had just gotten off a CityLink bus and was crossing the street when the pickup hit her, a witness said.
Officers said Brown was wearing dark clothing and that she did not cross the street at a designated crosswalk. She was walking with two others at the time of the accident, police said.
The woman's best friend, Heather Couch said they were on their way to Love & Care Ministries, 233 Fannin St.
Couch said her best friend said she's saddened by the loss of her friend, and she doesn't blame the driver.
"It was pretty dark," Couch said. "She had a dark blue Cowboys jacket on so, I'm pretty sure it was hard to see her."
She said her friend had a big heart.
"She's a very giving person," Couch said. "You know, if she had to give you the shirt off her back, she would."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated