ABILENE, Texas - Eastbound I-20 was shut down in vicinity of the West Lake Road overpass before noon Wednesday after an 18-wheeler collided with a mower.
As of 12:45 p.m., traffic was still backed up for several miles.
The Abilene Fire Department responded to the accident around 11 Wednesday morning.
No one was injured in the crash, which Abilene Police Department officials said was surprising.
According to police, a state-hired mower was moving down the hill when the mower lost power and wasn't able to stop or turn.
Meanwhile, the 18-wheeler was heading eastbound on I-20 in the right lane when the driver spotted the mower, slammed on the brakes and tried to avoid it. The 18-wheeler hit the mower on the back blade.
Bernice Smith, the driver of the 18-wheeler, is from Minnesota and was traveling from El Paso.
"And I just started applying brakes to slow down, figuring he knew where he was going, turning around or whatever and I just jammed on the brakes, when I knew he wasn't moving out of the way," she said.
According to authorities, a large amount of diesel fuel spilled and TxDot finished cleaning the roads around 2:45 Wednesday.
No citations will be issued because of the circumstances, but an investigation is ongoing, according to Abilene police.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit