ABILENE, Texas - Eastbound I-20 was shut down in vicinity of the West Lake Road overpass before noon Wednesday after an 18-wheeler collided with a mower.
As of 12:45 p.m., traffic was still backed up for several miles.
The Abilene Fire Department responded to the accident around 11 Wednesday morning.
No one was injured in the crash, which Abilene Police Department officials said was surprising.
According to police, a state-hired mower was moving down the hill when the mower lost power and wasn't able to stop or turn.
Meanwhile, the 18-wheeler was heading eastbound on I-20 in the right lane when the driver spotted the mower, slammed on the brakes and tried to avoid it. The 18-wheeler hit the mower on the back blade.
Bernice Smith, the driver of the 18-wheeler, is from Minnesota and was traveling from El Paso.
"And I just started applying brakes to slow down, figuring he knew where he was going, turning around or whatever and I just jammed on the brakes, when I knew he wasn't moving out of the way," she said.
According to authorities, a large amount of diesel fuel spilled and TxDot finished cleaning the roads around 2:45 Wednesday.
No citations will be issued because of the circumstances, but an investigation is ongoing, according to Abilene police.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday