ABILENE, Texas - Eastbound I-20 was shut down in vicinity of the West Lake Road overpass before noon Wednesday after an 18-wheeler collided with a mower.
As of 12:45 p.m., traffic was still backed up for several miles.
The Abilene Fire Department responded to the accident around 11 Wednesday morning.
No one was injured in the crash, which Abilene Police Department officials said was surprising.
According to police, a state-hired mower was moving down the hill when the mower lost power and wasn't able to stop or turn.
Meanwhile, the 18-wheeler was heading eastbound on I-20 in the right lane when the driver spotted the mower, slammed on the brakes and tried to avoid it. The 18-wheeler hit the mower on the back blade.
Bernice Smith, the driver of the 18-wheeler, is from Minnesota and was traveling from El Paso.
"And I just started applying brakes to slow down, figuring he knew where he was going, turning around or whatever and I just jammed on the brakes, when I knew he wasn't moving out of the way," she said.
According to authorities, a large amount of diesel fuel spilled and TxDot finished cleaning the roads around 2:45 Wednesday.
No citations will be issued because of the circumstances, but an investigation is ongoing, according to Abilene police.
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country