From state transportation department spokesperson Darah Waldrip:
The Texas Department of Transportation continues to monitor and treat roads for ice and snow this morning in the Abilene and Brownwood Districts.
San Saba, Mills and McCulloch counties are now reporting freezing precipitation affecting road conditions, and the weather could soon spread to nearby areas.
Counties in the Abilene District had major roadways cleared by Thursday evening, but crews continue to treat slick spots and are monitoring conditions. Some counties to the north are receiving light snow.
Temperatures are expected to rise this afternoon, and drivers are encouraged to delay travel until conditions improve.
Inclement weather is affecting other parts of the state. Statewide road conditions are available by calling 800-452-9292.
TxDOT's Brownwood District includes: Stephens, Eastland, Comanche, Brown, Mills, Coleman, McCulloch, San Saba and Lampasas Counties
TxDOT's Abilene District includes: Kent, Stonewall, Haskell, Borden, Scurry, Fisher, Jones, Shackelford, Howard, Mitchell, Nolan, Taylor and Callahan Counties
- Updated Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized
- Updated Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- Updated New schools open in Texas town in 2013 fertilizer blast
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Blacks in Texas face greatest pregnancy-related death risk