ABILENE, Texas - The following is an excerpt from a Texas Department of Transportation press release regarding current road conditions on state highways in light of the recent winter storm:
"Road conditions throughout TxDOT's Abilene and Brownwood Districts remain slick after crews have worked all day to clear major roadways. Driving lanes on most major routes are clear but may still have patchy ice, and passing lanes are still very slick. Many lower traffic roadways remain icy.
I-20 and major highways throughout the Abilene District are passable.
I-20 in Eastland County is also passable, but two incidents with jackknifed 18-wheelers in Palo Pinto County have eastbound I-20 traffic backed up for about 20 miles to Ranger Hill. The delay is approximately from mile marker 362 to mile marker 382. Drivers are advised not to travel this direction, especially with nightfall near.
McCulloch County is reporting hazardous conditions on US 377 and US 190. Two 18-wheelers had northbound and southbound lanes on US 377 10 miles north of Brady blocked earlier in the day. Although the incident has been cleared, an icy slope in this area is difficult to navigate and travel is discouraged.
TxDOT crews are working very hard to keep roads passable with the sustained low temperatures. They can work more efficiently and safely when traffic is kept to a minimum. Drivers should consider that if they risk travel under current conditions, they could slide off the road, become involved in a crash, or get caught in traffic backups resulting from other incidents ahead. Anyone who decides to travel at this time should pack basic emergency supplies, such as water, food, blankets, coats, medicines, cell phone chargers, flashlights and other essential supplies.
For statewide road conditions call 800-452-9292. Winter weather driving tips are available at http://www.txdot.gov/driver/weather/winter-driving.html."
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated