ABILENE, Texas - Hendrick Medical Center is the first hospital in West Central Texas to implement the use of mobile ultraviolet energy-based technology to combat germs, according to a hospital spokesperson.
The ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) technology can emit 360 degrees of UV energy and can achieve 99.9 percent disinfection of surfaces within 10 minutes of exposure.
"The addition of UV disinfection technology to sanitize surfaces is just one more way we can fight infection and provide our patients with the best possible environment of care," Patti Bull, infection prevention coordinator at HMC said.
The equipment will be used throughout the hospital and in operating rooms. It will be used along with regular cleaning and disinfection protocol.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot