ABILENE, Texas - A fire that may have been started by a candle did $25,000 of damage Tuesday night to a house in the 5200 block of Taos Drive.
Flames and smoke were showing when the fire department arrived about 7 p.m.
A neighbor had noticed smoke coming from the home and kicked in the front door to see if anyone was inside.
No one was home – or injured as a result – when the fire started, but the residents of the home, including two adults and three children, have had to seek shelter elsewhere.
Damage was reportedly sustained in at least two rooms of the house. The fire started in the bedroom near the nightstand, Lt. Mike Miller said in a news release.
"It is still under investigation at this time, but is believed to be either the electrical outlet or a nearby candle," Miller said in the release.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with accommodations.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family