ABILENE, Texas - A family member of Zachary Fernandez, a 12-year-old who was shot in the head earlier this month, said he is making progress.
Fernandez was shot in the back of the head while in the backseat of a car that police said was fleeing the scene of a drug deal on North 9th Street in Abilene last week.
He was airlifted to Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth on Aug. 6 and was put on life support. His family member told KTXS that the swelling near the wound is steadily going down and that he can now slightly move his head. She said he is still using a ventilator but that his breathing is much improved.
Police arrested 21-year-old Christopher Mack for the shooting that injured Fernandez and an 8-year-old boy who was also in the backseat of the car.
To pay for medical expenses, Fernandez's family held a bake sale Tuesday at the Lawrence Brothers Store in Anson.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated