ABILENE, Texas - A family member of Zachary Fernandez, a 12-year-old who was shot in the head earlier this month, said he is making progress.
Fernandez was shot in the back of the head while in the backseat of a car that police said was fleeing the scene of a drug deal on North 9th Street in Abilene last week.
He was airlifted to Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth on Aug. 6 and was put on life support. His family member told KTXS that the swelling near the wound is steadily going down and that he can now slightly move his head. She said he is still using a ventilator but that his breathing is much improved.
Police arrested 21-year-old Christopher Mack for the shooting that injured Fernandez and an 8-year-old boy who was also in the backseat of the car.
To pay for medical expenses, Fernandez's family held a bake sale Tuesday at the Lawrence Brothers Store in Anson.
- Mayor Williams' former campaign manager running for Abilene City Council
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- 2 held in shooting death of North Texas boy, 5, brother hurt
- KTXS Forecast: Near normal temperatures Wednesday
- Donors step up for Abilene Salvation Army ahead of Thanksgiving
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down