ABILENE, Texas - A family member of Zachary Fernandez, a 12-year-old who was shot in the head earlier this month, said he is making progress.
Fernandez was shot in the back of the head while in the backseat of a car that police said was fleeing the scene of a drug deal on North 9th Street in Abilene last week.
He was airlifted to Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth on Aug. 6 and was put on life support. His family member told KTXS that the swelling near the wound is steadily going down and that he can now slightly move his head. She said he is still using a ventilator but that his breathing is much improved.
Police arrested 21-year-old Christopher Mack for the shooting that injured Fernandez and an 8-year-old boy who was also in the backseat of the car.
To pay for medical expenses, Fernandez's family held a bake sale Tuesday at the Lawrence Brothers Store in Anson.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web