ABILENE, Texas - A gas leak in a South Abilene neighborhood forced evacuations Thursday morning.
City of Abilene utility crews were repairing a water line just before 8 a.m. in the 1900 block of Ballinger Street when they accidentally severed a natural gas line, according to Abilene Fire Department Lt. Greg Goettsch.
"We found out that it was a 2-inch natural gas line that had been struck which puts out a significant amount of gas in a residential neighborhood," Goettsch said.
Blake Sims said the damaged line was in his front yard and firefighters knocked on his door to tell him he was being evacuated.
"I was going to leave for work like it was a normal day and, yeah, by the time I was ready they said ‘get on out of there, grab what you need'--which was just phone and keys," Sims said.
A total of 12 residents were evacuated. The city provided buses for them to sit in while they waited for Atmos Energy crews to stop the leak.
Goettsch said natural gas is not poisonous but it is flammable and could cause suffocation in large amounts. He said the cold morning air and low winds contributed to the high concentration Thursday.
Atmos stopped the leak around 10:20 a.m. and residents were allowed to go back inside their homes.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Above normal temperatures continue
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth