ABILENE, Texas - A 27-year-old member of the 7th Logistics Readiness Squadron at Dyess AFB was killed in a motorcycle accident just before 7 a.m. Thursday.
The accident happened at the intersection of Farm Road 707 and County Road 314 in Taylor County.
State Police identified the motorcycle driver as Stephen Caswell Freethy, 27, of Abilene, Texas. Freethy, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene at 6:42 a.m
According to the Department of Public Safety, Freethy was driving a motorcycle northbound on Farm Market 707. Sheryl Ashby McClendon, 55, of Abilene, was driving a 2008 Toyota Camry eastbound on County Road 314 when she allegedly pulled out in front of him. The motorcyclist and the car collided, and the motorcyclist was flung from the motorcycle.
McClendon was taken to Abilene Regional Medical Center for a non-life threatening head injury.
Freethy was driving his motorcycle on his way to work at the base.
The road was wet and the weather was foggy. This crash is being investigated by Trooper Lance Outland, State Police spokesman Sparky Dean said in a release.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated