ABILENE, Texas - A 27-year-old member of the 7th Logistics Readiness Squadron at Dyess AFB was killed in a motorcycle accident just before 7 a.m. Thursday.
The accident happened at the intersection of Farm Road 707 and County Road 314 in Taylor County.
State Police identified the motorcycle driver as Stephen Caswell Freethy, 27, of Abilene, Texas. Freethy, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene at 6:42 a.m
According to the Department of Public Safety, Freethy was driving a motorcycle northbound on Farm Market 707. Sheryl Ashby McClendon, 55, of Abilene, was driving a 2008 Toyota Camry eastbound on County Road 314 when she allegedly pulled out in front of him. The motorcyclist and the car collided, and the motorcyclist was flung from the motorcycle.
McClendon was taken to Abilene Regional Medical Center for a non-life threatening head injury.
Freethy was driving his motorcycle on his way to work at the base.
The road was wet and the weather was foggy. This crash is being investigated by Trooper Lance Outland, State Police spokesman Sparky Dean said in a release.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend