ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman shot and killed her estranged ex-boyfriend Wednesday after police said he broke into her home and assaulted her.
According to police, 34-year-old Earnest Gonzales tried to break in to 35-year-old Lawanda Taylor's home on Minda Street Christmas night but fled the scene when he found out Taylor called 911.
Just after 2 a.m. Wednesday, police said he succeeded in break in and he assaulted her. Taylor's 16-year-old and newborn child were present at the time.
Taylor retrieved her gun, which she legally owned, and shot Gonzales once in his left side, according to police. Gonzales fled the home and police said they found him in the front yard.
He was transported to Hendrick Medical Center where he died.
Counselors with the NOAH Project and the Regional Victim Crisis Center were called to the scene.
"This is a horrible situation but this is an example of how the police department has really enhanced over the past couple of years," RVCC Executive Director Diane Dotson said.
Dotson said it is crucial victims of violent crime get the help they need.
"You never know how you're going to react until you're in that situation. So our advocates are trained to work with however the victim is feeling at the time," Dotson said. "I've had victims tell me they never get over it but they do get past it. And that's what we do is help them get past it so they can go on with normal lives."
Police have ordered an autopsy for Gonzales. The case will go before a Taylor County Grand Jury for review but police do not expect criminal charges will be filed against Taylor.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated