ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman shot and killed her estranged ex-boyfriend Wednesday after police said he broke into her home and assaulted her.
According to police, 34-year-old Earnest Gonzales tried to break in to 35-year-old Lawanda Taylor's home on Minda Street Christmas night but fled the scene when he found out Taylor called 911.
Just after 2 a.m. Wednesday, police said he succeeded in break in and he assaulted her. Taylor's 16-year-old and newborn child were present at the time.
Taylor retrieved her gun, which she legally owned, and shot Gonzales once in his left side, according to police. Gonzales fled the home and police said they found him in the front yard.
He was transported to Hendrick Medical Center where he died.
Counselors with the NOAH Project and the Regional Victim Crisis Center were called to the scene.
"This is a horrible situation but this is an example of how the police department has really enhanced over the past couple of years," RVCC Executive Director Diane Dotson said.
Dotson said it is crucial victims of violent crime get the help they need.
"You never know how you're going to react until you're in that situation. So our advocates are trained to work with however the victim is feeling at the time," Dotson said. "I've had victims tell me they never get over it but they do get past it. And that's what we do is help them get past it so they can go on with normal lives."
Police have ordered an autopsy for Gonzales. The case will go before a Taylor County Grand Jury for review but police do not expect criminal charges will be filed against Taylor.
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Texas woman slain as boyfriend shoots at another man
- Official: Storm triggered sensor that halted new Six Flags roller coaster
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- KTXS Forecast: Thunderstorm chances continue as next cold front approaches
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent says school will be open next year
- Brown County law enforcement holds ceremony honoring fallen officers
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks