ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman shot and killed her estranged ex-boyfriend Wednesday after police said he broke into her home and assaulted her.
According to police, 34-year-old Earnest Gonzales tried to break in to 35-year-old Lawanda Taylor's home on Minda Street Christmas night but fled the scene when he found out Taylor called 911.
Just after 2 a.m. Wednesday, police said he succeeded in break in and he assaulted her. Taylor's 16-year-old and newborn child were present at the time.
Taylor retrieved her gun, which she legally owned, and shot Gonzales once in his left side, according to police. Gonzales fled the home and police said they found him in the front yard.
He was transported to Hendrick Medical Center where he died.
Counselors with the NOAH Project and the Regional Victim Crisis Center were called to the scene.
"This is a horrible situation but this is an example of how the police department has really enhanced over the past couple of years," RVCC Executive Director Diane Dotson said.
Dotson said it is crucial victims of violent crime get the help they need.
"You never know how you're going to react until you're in that situation. So our advocates are trained to work with however the victim is feeling at the time," Dotson said. "I've had victims tell me they never get over it but they do get past it. And that's what we do is help them get past it so they can go on with normal lives."
Police have ordered an autopsy for Gonzales. The case will go before a Taylor County Grand Jury for review but police do not expect criminal charges will be filed against Taylor.
- Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash