ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman shot and killed her estranged ex-boyfriend Wednesday after police said he broke into her home and assaulted her.
According to police, 34-year-old Earnest Gonzales tried to break in to 35-year-old Lawanda Taylor's home on Minda Street Christmas night but fled the scene when he found out Taylor called 911.
Just after 2 a.m. Wednesday, police said he succeeded in break in and he assaulted her. Taylor's 16-year-old and newborn child were present at the time.
Taylor retrieved her gun, which she legally owned, and shot Gonzales once in his left side, according to police. Gonzales fled the home and police said they found him in the front yard.
He was transported to Hendrick Medical Center where he died.
Counselors with the NOAH Project and the Regional Victim Crisis Center were called to the scene.
"This is a horrible situation but this is an example of how the police department has really enhanced over the past couple of years," RVCC Executive Director Diane Dotson said.
Dotson said it is crucial victims of violent crime get the help they need.
"You never know how you're going to react until you're in that situation. So our advocates are trained to work with however the victim is feeling at the time," Dotson said. "I've had victims tell me they never get over it but they do get past it. And that's what we do is help them get past it so they can go on with normal lives."
Police have ordered an autopsy for Gonzales. The case will go before a Taylor County Grand Jury for review but police do not expect criminal charges will be filed against Taylor.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel