ABILENE, Texas - A 32-year-old man was struck and killed by a truck on an Abilene street Thursday night.
Killed was Zachery Joseph Melton of Abilene.
The accident happened near the 400 block of Sayles Blvd. about 6:40 p.m.
According to a news release, a brown 1986 Chevrolet truck driven by Gabriel Borrego, 71, of Abilene, was "traveling north in the inside lane of Sayles Boulevard when he struck a pedestrian (Melton) in the roadway."
The release said the pedestrian was wearing dark-colored clothing and wasn't seen by Borrega prior to the collision.
Melton was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace A.L. Deatherage at 6:55 p.m. Next of kin was notified. Borrego wasn't injured.
"Alcohol was present at the scene, but at this time, it is unknown if alcohol was a contributing factor in the collision," the release said. "Blood samples were taken from Mr. Borrego and Mr. Melton."
Last week, a homeless woman died when she was struck by a car. City police are collecting reflector vests for the homeless to wear at night.
"We don't believe this one is homeless," said Sgt. Richy Waggoner of the Abilene Police Department. "We've had one of the pastors associated with Love and Care came by and did not recognize him. It does not appear to be a homeless person at this time."
The investigation is continuing, police said. No criminal charges have been filed pending further investigation.
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Lowe's Heroes gives back to the Disabled American Veterans
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase