ABILENE, Texas - A 32-year-old man was struck and killed by a truck on an Abilene street Thursday night.
Killed was Zachery Joseph Melton of Abilene.
The accident happened near the 400 block of Sayles Blvd. about 6:40 p.m.
According to a news release, a brown 1986 Chevrolet truck driven by Gabriel Borrego, 71, of Abilene, was "traveling north in the inside lane of Sayles Boulevard when he struck a pedestrian (Melton) in the roadway."
The release said the pedestrian was wearing dark-colored clothing and wasn't seen by Borrega prior to the collision.
Melton was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace A.L. Deatherage at 6:55 p.m. Next of kin was notified. Borrego wasn't injured.
"Alcohol was present at the scene, but at this time, it is unknown if alcohol was a contributing factor in the collision," the release said. "Blood samples were taken from Mr. Borrego and Mr. Melton."
Last week, a homeless woman died when she was struck by a car. City police are collecting reflector vests for the homeless to wear at night.
"We don't believe this one is homeless," said Sgt. Richy Waggoner of the Abilene Police Department. "We've had one of the pastors associated with Love and Care came by and did not recognize him. It does not appear to be a homeless person at this time."
The investigation is continuing, police said. No criminal charges have been filed pending further investigation.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking