TYE, Texas - A 57-year-old woman has been identified as the victim in a house fire Saturday that killed one near Tye.
According to the Taylor County Sheriff's Office, Kathy Deann Cherry died in the mobile home blaze on County Road 310 near Tye.
Cherry's body has been transported to Fort Worth for an autopsy, a news release said. The fire remains under investigation, although investigators don't believe the fire was set intentionally.
From the previous story:
A late night house fire in Tye left one woman dead Friday. The fire broke out just before midnight at a home on County Road 310 off FM 707.
Sergeant Craig Griffis with the Taylor County Sheriff's Office said firefighters from Tye, Merkel and View responded to the fire; however the home was already fully involved and a 57-year-old woman was found dead inside.
A neighbor tried to help before first responders arrived and removed a window air conditioning unit to see inside after he heard a noise.
"I was just yelling to see if there was anybody in there to tell them to get out and to just, you know, lay on the floor - crawl - try to crawl to the door and after that I didn't hear much noise and I ran around and grabbed the water hose and turned it on and put it through the window where I was at and so the water could run and then I grabbed it out again and just started spraying where the water was, after awhile I ran around and busted all the other windows out of the house because smoke just started flying out everywhere," Brent Bailey said.
"They say they seen her laying down on this end of the house which is the opposite end of the house from any electricity that was on - the AC was on - and so it just devastates me, I don't know…I wish, you know, I could have gone to the other end of the house, tried to get a window down here instead of the other end…I was going to do whatever I could to get them out, and I couldn't."
The cause of the fire is under investigation; however, Griffis said it does not seem suspicious. The victim's identity has not yet been released.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer