ABILENE, TX - The Zambia Medical Mission Organization sends millions of dollars worth of medical supplies to Zambia. More than one hundred volunteers spent the day lifting heavy boxes all to support people in need.
The group started in 1995 in Abilene, Texas. It's also one of the largest groups of its type.
Two 40 foot containers with supplies were loaded into two trucks. They serve 20,000 rural Zambians each July.
The Mission Fund President is thankful for the outpouring of local support.
"Global Samaritan here in Abilene has given us some of the resources that we'll send today," said KB Massengill. "There have been churches and individuals around here that have donated the milk or the formula for the orphans."
These containers are filled with medical supplies, furniture, clothes and food. One volunteer said it's changed his life.
"It's actually affected my career path right now on EMT school, so I can be an EMT here and help out my community, but also so I can go over and hopefully do more than just pack boxes," said Jacob Riddle.
Another volunteer shared a story of her experience serving the people in Zambia and the impact their work has on their lives.
"Look around, see the children they have clothes and you've brought food to give them she says its getting better," said Shelli Starkey. "God is taking care of things."
The organization provides on-going care for the Zambian people. They have a school, hospital, radio station, orphanage and college that supports the community.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated