ABILENE, Texas - More than 1,000 readers of the military news website Task & Purpose rated the worst Air Force bases to be stationed at, and Abilene's Dyess Air Force Base topped the list.
The website polled its readers and found that most of the complaints stem from a long wait for on-base housing that forces airmen to live off base in areas that have an increased risk of crime.
Respondents also stated they felt there was "nothing to do in the area" and some said they felt Abilene was an overly religious area with a large number of evangelical Christian churches, according to Task & Purpose.
Task & Purpose noted that the Air Force has far fewer complaints about installations than other military branches.
KTXS reached out to Abilene Chamber of Commerce Vice President for Military Affairs Brian Yates. He chose not to comment on the article.
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- 26 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Two indicted for July murder of Abilene teen
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Man being pulled by huskies across U.S. stops in Abilene to raise awareness
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Sheriff: Brownwood man confesses in church to killing Chantay Blankinship
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- 3 arrested in drug bust near Bangs school
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD
- Wednesday rainfall totals: Big Country areas register up to 1.5 inches of rain