ABILENE, Texas - They're state bound!
The Class 3A No. 5-ranked Wylie boys basketball team was given a rock star send-off Wednesday morning as the squad headed to the state tournament in Austin.
The trip marks only the second time in the school's history the boys basketball team has made it this far.
The only other time the Bulldogs advanced to state was in 2007 when they lost in the championship game to Hardin-Jefferson.
Six years later, they're determined to win this time.
To say they're excited is an understatement.
"These guys are excited and we just want to go down and watch them have a good time, have some fun and whatever happens, happens," said Lupe Hererra, whose son Hunter is on the team.
Parents expect a tough game during Thursday's 1:30 p.m. matchup between Wylie and No. 2-ranked Dallas Madison at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin. But they also believe victory will ultimately go to the Bulldogs.
"It's going to be a tough game – and hopefully it doesn't have to come down to the last shot again, but if it does, we'll take it again," Hererra said. "Anything we can to get them."
The winner of the Wylie-Madison matchup will face the winner of No. 1-ranked Houston Yates and Brookshire Royal in Saturday's Class 3A state championship game.
As for final score predictions?
Team captain Duane Hopper predicted Wylie will win 62-57. Hererra guessed 61-52.
To watch live streaming video of the game tomorrow, click here.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday