ABILENE, Texas - The YMCA hosted its national kick-off to summer camp event Saturday afternoon in south Abilene.
Since most kids will be about of school during the summer months, the YMCA offers the summer camp to children ages five through 12. During the camp, children are able to participate in activities designed to stimulate their minds and bodies.
To encourage children to sign up, the YMCA encouraged them to race special cars, tour firetrucks and participate in karate and cheer leading demos.
Mark Langan, the CEO of the YMCA, said he hopes to defeat childhood obesity.
"We have an obesity problem in the United States, so we want kids to be active," Langan said. "In our after-school and our day camp programs, we feature swimming, karate, zumba and dance. We keep kids active all day long, all week"
- Updated Police chief: Homicide investigation continues regarding Brownwood man's death
- Updated Brownwood murder suspect wants lower bond to go to theme parks, judge denies
- Updated Texas boy dies after stepping into puddle with downed power line
- Teen's body recovered from Texas lake after canoe capsized
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- Police chief: Homicide investigation continues regarding Brownwood man's death
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks